Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Module 2 - Assessment

Create an entry that reflects on how you can use standards, CFQs or formative assessment.

I think that the essential question, in my case "Is anyone normal?" is a great discussion topic to start off the project. The students will have had a background in genes, mutations, and diseases before beginning their project. Once they select a disease, they will do a KWHL so that I can assess where they are and they can think about what they want to know.  As a class we will develop a checklist and timeline so that everyone is on the same page about what is expected from their powerpoint presentation.  They will review another groups presentation before making their final draft, giving suggestions on what can be improved and what they like.  Afterwards there will be a rubric that it will be graded by.  They will also have to turn in the checklist and finish the KWHL with what they had learned! Then they will also evaluate how their group members did! 

6 comments:

  1. Have you considered any journals to either reflect on what they have learned or for brainstorming purposes? The lesson sounds great though, just an idea. I like that they will be using a timeline to keep them on task; also that they will be evaluating each other...more interactive then the teacher doing all the evaluating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love your essential question! Totally cracked me up. I also love that you will be making your checklist and timeline with the class. That is a great idea! That really gives students a part in the project and makes them in control. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The essential question definitely gets your attention. Its an interesting topic and one that will keep the students engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eqcellent eq : ) should relate well to students lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been alot of work, but the goal of been a better communicator of lessons and projects will help the student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a check list. It keeps them on tasks and working on the project. Also, I have used it to motivated my "slow" students by telling them to be at a certain spot when I walked back by.

    ReplyDelete